As a Degree Apprentice in Aerospace Software Engineers you will mainly be involved in the discipline of Software Engineering, within the Aerospace Industry. This includes influencing the way products are built, how they will need to be modified during their life-cycle and the provision of in service support systems. Other elements of Modelling and Simulation, Human Factors and Systems Engineering disciplines are also covered as essential background for a fully rounded Aerospace Software Engineer.
During your Degree Apprenticeship you will learn how to comply with statutory regulations and organisational safety requirements as well as how to use and interpret engineering data and documentation such as engineering requirements, specifications, designs, code, test specifications, test scripts, code analysis (static and dynamic) tool output.
You will be expected to work both as individuals and as part of wider Engineering teams. Aerospace Software Engineers will be expected to demonstrate coding ability and specify, analyse, test and modify Software Engineering artefacts across Design and Development and In-Service Operations. They will be expected to validate, test and modify software to comply with its design and associate requirements.
Degree Apprentices will be able to work with appropriate supervision, whilst taking progressively more responsibility for the quality and accuracy of the work they undertake. They will be proactive in finding solutions to problems and identifying areas for improving the business.
Skills you will learn on your Aerospace Software Engineering Degree Apprenticeship
- Basics of Software Engineering Practice: degree apprentices will be able to describe all of the phases of the software lifecycle and the interfaces between each phase.
- Apprentices will gain experience of the methods & tools used to control the change and modification of software related products.
- Develop and apply Algorithms, including specification, design and implementation: apprentices will construct algorithms required to implement required functionality in software.
- Apply appropriate Engineering Operations and Toolsets: apprentices will use the standard methods adopted for software production and the toolsets used to support efficient development.
- Understand and apply analytical methods (engineering mathematics): apprentices will use mathematics to reason about properties of software such as safety or performance.
- Apply Systems Engineering principles: apprentices will learn the criteria for making architectural decisions in order to achieve an optimal solution over potentially conflicting system objectives.
- Demonstrate understanding and use of “Modelling & Simulation” software: apprentices will learn how to develop software more quickly and reliably utilising “Modelling” toolsets.
- Read and interpret Software engineering data, apprentices will demonstrate an understanding of code, design and requirements documentation.
- Apply business improvement techniques ensuring optimisation of processes, resources and budget, apprentices will use systematic methods to identify and eliminate waste and inefficiencies in their software production activities.
- Demonstrate the ability to comply with statutory, quality, organisational, environmental and health and safety regulations, apprentices will seek opportunities to show compliance with appropriate standards.
What types of jobs will this Degree Apprenticeship qualify me to do?
Upon completion of your Degree apprenticeship, typical roles include the design, development and production of both airborne and ground based software for test equipment, training systems and simulators, structural health monitoring, spares and logistical support systems, communications command and control systems.
When you graduate and complete your Degree Apprenticeship you might be employed in roles such as Flight Systems Engineer, Mission Systems Engineer or Systems Integration Engineer.
What Qualifications will I have at the end of the Degree Apprenticeship?
A BSc Honours degree
Where can I find vacancies?
To search for opportunities, visit our list of Degree Apprenticeships Vacancies.