Guide to UK Degree Apprenticeships

What are Degree Level Apprenticeships?
Degree Apprenticeships are like being sponsored through your degree. It is a way to earn a degree while working and your employer covers the costs of your degree. As a Degree Level Apprentice, you will be earning money while you learn and have no student debt hanging over you when you graduate.

What could I learn?
Degree Apprenticeships are being created in many different industries and to cover a wide range of roles. To find out more about the area you are interested, explore the list down the right hand side of this page. As the Degree Apprenticeships have been designed by companies, in conjunction with partner universities, this ensures that apprentices will acquire the skills and knowledge required for their industry.

How are the Degree Apprenticeships structured?
As a degree apprenticeship you will typically spend around 80% of your time in the workplace, doing on the job training and gaining practical experience. The remaining 20% of your time will be spent at university. You will finish with a full degree plus on the job work experience. In some cases it might take up to 5 years to get your degree as you are working part time while you study.

What are the benefits of doing a degree apprenticeship instead of going to university?
Taking a Degree Apprenticeship is not an easy option. You could find that you are working up to four days a week and then you have to attend university, write essays and submit coursework. This means that typically you will have to study evenings and weekends, so there won’t be that much time for socialising. You will need to be focused and determined to do well.

On the plus side, you will be learning job specific skills which are highly sought after by employers as well as gaining a degree which will make you highly employable by the time you finish. You will also graduate debt free.

What grades do I need to do a degree apprenticeship?
The grades required vary depending on the employer. Typically they are looking for school leavers with A-levels but this is not always the case so check with the companies you are interested in for their individual requirements.

Can anyone do a degree apprenticeship?
As you will be employed and not just a student, you will need to be eligible to work in the UK. There are no age restrictions but the arrangements for funding are different. Training costs for apprentices aged 18 – 24 will be funded by the government. If you are aged 24 or over you may be asked to contribute towards the costs.

Will I be paid during my degree apprenticeship?
Yes. You will be paid a wage and your university tuition fees will be paid for by your employer. You will be responsible for covering your accommodation and living costs.

Where will I live during my Degree Apprenticeship?

Depending on your circumstances you can either live at home or in some cases you could live in rented accommodation near to your place of employment. You may find that there are other apprentices also moving away from home for the first time and you could rent with a group of other degree apprentices. Employers will often help you with this as they are aware that you might be moving away from home for the first time without the community of on-campus living you would have if you were going to university.

How to I find out more information?
Learn more about what is involved in each type of Degree Apprenticeship and who offers them by clicking on the sectors that interest you on the right hand side of this page.

How do I apply?
Degree apprenticeships are advertised by the companies recruiting, in the same way a job would be. Companies could be recruiting for Degree Apprentices all year round but you may also find an increase in the number of vacancies advertised after A-level results. Each one has its own closing date and there is not an application cycle or process that is common to all.

Can I choose which university I study at?
Unfortunately not. Each company has set up a programme for the Degree Apprentices in conjunction with a partner unviersity. Some companies may have more than one university, but generally you will be expected to study at the university your employer has partnered with to deliver the Degree apprenticeship

Where can I find vacancies?
Degree Apprenticeships are advertised on the government website https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch