Applications are now open for this year’s Crowd Scholar scholarship programme. The Scholarship Hub is proud and excited to support this innovative community led scholarship for the fourth year running, to help the programme grow.
Crowd Scholar is a scholarship program for high-achieving students from disadvantaged backgrounds. The charity supports students through crowdfunded donations. In addition to financial support, all scholarship winners receive mentoring and other support from the charity’s trustees throughout university (they help arrange things like tutoring, help scholars apply to internships, etc.).
Over the past three years, Crowd Scholar has donated over £25,000 to 9 students.
Who can apply?
Crowd Scholar is looking to help and support high achieving students from disadvantaged backgrounds to attend university. Applications are invited from students who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Will be between 17 and 19 years of age when starting university
- Eligible for free school meals
- A resident of the UK at the time of your application
- Applying for a scholarship towards an education at a UK university
- Starting university in 2020-21
If you are selected to be a finalist, you will be required to prove that you meet all of the above criteria.
Crowd Scholar guarantees five scholarships worth £31,500. The scholarships break down into three categories as highlighted below and are accessible through a single application:
- Crowd Scholarship: Two scholarships worth £5,000 guaranteed (Crowd Scholar will solicit donations and the Scholars behalf to increase this scholarship amount as much as possible) available to those that meet the Crowd Scholar criteria – …” – there are no restrictions on the target university or the subject of study.
- Hollyport Capital Crowd Scholarship: Two £10,000 scholarships available to those that meet the Crowd Scholar criteria and are interested in a career in finance.
- John Bennett Trust Crowd Scholarship: One £1,500 scholarship available to those that meet the Crowd Scholar criteria, identify as Black, and will be studying law at university.
What does the scholarship offer?
As this is a community led scholarship, the amount of funding available depends on the number of donations, however depending on the scholarship Crowd Scholar guarantees a minimum of £1,500 to £10,000 in financial support to five winners.
Additionally, all applicants receive some form of support. This year, Crowd Scholar has partnered with Up Learn, an exciting “edtech” (educational technology company) and leading provider of online A Level tuition. Every single student that completes a Crowd Scholar application will be eligible for a free Up Learn license worth £200-350 (or more!).
How do I apply?
The application process is split into two rounds.
The first step is to complete the application form. At this stage, applicants will be required to provide basic details, write one 500-word essay, one 250-word short answer question, and provide a teacher recommendation.
Applicants that proceed to the second round will be invited to complete a 30-minute phone interview with one of the trustees.
Applications close on April 2nd 2021.
To find out more and apply, visit www.crowdscholar.co.uk