It’s the holiday season, and for many students, this means a much-needed break from classes and the chance to relax and recharge but the holidays can be a stressful and difficult time especially if, like so many other students, you are struggling with money at the moment.
If you’re worried about not having enough money to enjoy the holiday break, you’re not alone, but there are still plenty of ways to have a great break without spending a lot of money.
So we’ve put together some tips and ideas for having a memorable and enjoyable holiday break – things you can do by yourself or with friends – even if you’re on a tight budget.
You can still have a great holiday break without breaking the bank – so say goodbye to 2022 and get ready to relax and recharge over the break without a January financial hangover.
- Cook or bake something new: Try out a new recipe and get creative in the kitchen.
- Do a DIY project: Tackle a DIY project, like painting a room or reorganizing your closet, to keep yourself busy and productive.
- Do a home workout: There are plenty of at-home workout videos available online, so you can get a good workout without spending any money.
- Do a puzzle: Spend some quality time with loved ones by working on a puzzle together.
- Do some holiday crafting: Get creative and make your own holiday decorations, like paper snowflakes or wreaths.
- Get your 2023 financial house in order: its not a natural Christmas activity but getting your money sorted will make you feel far more in control of the new year – this could mean budgeting, applying for student funds or student scholarships or finding a new job
- Go ice skating: If you have an ice rink nearby, put on your skates and enjoy some outdoor fun.
- Go on a hike: Get some fresh air and enjoy the beauty of nature by going on a hike in a nearby park or trail.
- Go stargazing: Bundle up and head outside to enjoy the beauty of the winter night sky.
- Have a dance party: Turn up the music and let loose with a dance party in your living room.
- Have a game night: Break out your favorite board games or card games and have a game night with friends or family.
- Have a holiday-themed photoshoot: Get festive and have a holiday-themed photoshoot with friends or family.
- Have a hot cocoa bar: Set up a hot cocoa bar with a variety of toppings and let your friends and family customize their own drinks.
- Have a karaoke night: Break out the karaoke machine and sing your heart out with friends and family.
- Have a movie marathon: Gather up some blankets and pillows and have a cozy movie night in.
- Have a snowball fight: Embrace the winter weather and have a snowball fight with friends or family or if you are super creative a snowball sculpture contest and see who can create the most creative snowball sculpture.
- Have a winter picnic: Pack a blanket and some snacks and have a winter picnic in a scenic spot.
- Make a gingerbread house: Get in the holiday spirit by making a gingerbread house with friends or family.
- Make homemade gifts: Show your loved ones how much you care by making them homemade gifts, like handmade jewelry or a hand-painted mug.
- Read a good book: Curl up with a cozy blanket and a good book and lose yourself in a new story.
- Take a virtual tour: There are many museums and attractions that offer virtual tours, so you can explore new places from the comfort of your own home.
- Take a virtual yoga or meditation class: Many yoga studios and meditation centers offer virtual classes, so you can practice from the comfort of your own home.
- Write in a journal: Take some time to reflect on the past year and set some goals for the new year by writing in a journal.